top of page

Why Plaque?

Many patients ask us on a daily basis why is it important to brush twice a day? and why do we get a build up? The importance of brushing twice a day is to reduce the build up of plaque. Plaque is the sticky, colorless film of bacteria that forms on teeth minutes after brushing. Plaque builds up continually throughout the day. It makes teeth "feel fuzzy" to the tongue and is most noticeable when teeth are not brushed. What Causes Plaque? Plaque develops when foods containing carbohydrates (sugars and starches), such as milk, soft drinks, raisins, cakes, or candy are frequently left on the teeth. Bacteria that live in the mouth thrive on these foods, producing acids as a result. Over a period of time, these acids destroy tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay. Plaque can also develop on the tooth roots under the gum and cause breakdown of the bone supporting the tooth leading to periodontal disease (gum disease). How Can Plaque Formation Be Prevented? To prevent plaque buildup-

  • brush your teeth twice as a day with a medium bristle small headed toothbrush. Pay particular attention to the space where the gums and teeth meet.

  • Use a fluoride-containing toothpaste.

  • Floss between teeth at least once a day to remove food particles and bacteria.

  • Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and see the hygienist for regular hygiene appointments.

  • Ask your dentist if a dental sealant is appropriate for you. Dental sealants are a thin, plastic coating that are painted on the chewing surfaces of teeth to protect them from cavities and decay.

  • Eat a balanced diet and limit the number of between-meal snacks. If you need a snack, choose nutritious foods such as plain yogurt, cheese, fruit, or raw vegetables. Vegetables, such as celery, help remove food and help saliva neutralize plaque-causing acids. Chewing sugar free gum also helps increase saliva flow and neutralise plaque acid.

The most important time to brush your teeth is at night. When you go to sleep the saliva in your mouth drops and any plaque left on your teeth have a chance to feed on the food left over and cause tooth decay and periodontal disease (gum disease). If your concerned about plaque build up then contact us today @park street dental. 01656 652470/ 654725

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page